I’ve been nominated!
I’d like to thank Bronte’s Page Turners for nominating me for a Real Neat Blog Award! I’m very flattered. The idea is for me to respond by answering a few questions and by nominating some other friends to do the same. Wow!
These are the rules:
1. Thank and link the blogger that nominated you.
2. Answer the 7 questions that the nomination has provided you.
3. Create 7 questions for your nominees.
4. Nominate 7 other bloggers.
Well, here are the questions I was asked:
1.How many books are on your TBR list?
I’m going to have to do some adding up here! There are three lists: on my Classics Club list, I have 30 books unread, but I have until October 2018 to read those. I have 4 on my Kindle that I’m definitely going to read and, of physical books (short-term reading plans), there are 2. That’s thirty-six altogether if my arithmetic is any good. OK, my intentions might change tomorrow but that’s as honest as I can make it.
2.What is your greatest bibliophile skill?
Being able to read is in itself such an amazing and rewarding skill, and to be able to do it (reasonably well) in more than one language – that’s probably enough for me.
3.What is your finest bibliophile dream?
A bibliophile dream? I have two very old books which need rebinding and hope to find an expert to do it without it costing me an arm and a leg.
4.What is your worst bibliophile nightmare?
Easy one! I can’t bear the thought of some nasty villain breaking into my house and stealing or vandalising my books.
5.If you could thank one person for turning you on to the joys of reading, who would it be?
Another easy one – my father.
6.If your partner is a fellow bibliophile, do you merge book collections i.e. get rid of duplicate copies of books you both have? Or is this too much to expect, even in a long-term relationship? Am I worrying about this too much?!!
My wife’s tastes and my own occasionally coincide, but good partnerships share. I don’t think we have two copies of anything. And yes, I think you are worrying about it too much!
7.Paste and copy a picture of the most beautiful book you own.
The most beautiful book (jointly owned), is Hiroshige’s One Hundred Famous Views of Edo.
And here are MY questions:
- What inspired you to start writing a blog?
- Do you have an all-time favourite book and, if so, what is it?
- It’s a commonly held opinion that a movie is never as good as the book on which it is based. Do you have a favourite movie that you think is better than the book? [just one, in case you have more]
- What do you look for in your favourite blogs – eg poems, humour, challenging writing, serious issues, frivolity, art, photographs etc – or whatever?
- What historical figure is your role model, if any, and why?
- What is your favourite indulgence – eg chocolate, expensive holidays, fast cars etc – or whatever?
- What recipe can you offer for achieving world peace?
I’m going to cheat and break the rules because I really don’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings. There are so many different neat blogs out there and I like them for different reasons. To pick only seven would be so unfair to all the others. So I’m going to nominate everyone, and if you feel like taking up the challenge, whether by my rules or those of the unknown originator, please do so. Whatever you decide, just keep writing, because Writing is Fun!